Edmund G. Baker (1897 – 1931)
There are numerous fine farms in this county which will compare favorably with any others in the State as to regards of production and also as to the improvements which have been made upon them. Many of these places are owned by men comparatively young in years, who started in the world with but little more than an unlimited amount of energy and perseverance, and who are succeeding to an eminent degree in building up a comfortable home in Wood county. As a representative of this class of agriculturists, great pleasure is taken in presenting the name of the subject of this notice, who is living on a good farm of ninety-nine acres in Troy township, which was first opened up by Henry Baker, of Pemberville, Ohio. Our subject bought the place in 1888, and the following year moved thereon. He now devotes his time to its cultivation, and also to stock dealing, making a specialty of handling sheep.
Mr. Baker made his advent into this world September 1, 1858, in Woodville Township, Sandusky Co., Ohio, at the home of his parents, Sandford G. and Phoebe (Osborn) Baker. His father was born in 1817, in Vermont, and with his father, Elijah Baker, came to Wood County, in 1838, locating on a farm, in Troy Township, near Luckey. The latter’s wife bore the maiden name of Lavina White, and was a native of Vermont. After residing on that farm for some years, the grandfather removed to Woodville Township, Sandusky County, where he bought a farm of Sardis Burchard, on which the father now lives. His death occurred in that township in 1864, in his ninetieth year, and his wife died in September 1862.
In 1840, in Troy township, Sandford G. Baker was united in marriage with Miss Almira Webster, a native of Connecticut, and a daughter of Joseph Webster, one of the honored pioneers of Troy Township, who died in Hillsdale, Mich. Mrs. Baker died in 1856, leaving three children who yet survive: Mrs. Helen Morse, of Missouri; Mrs. Emily Osborn, of Iowa; and John W., who resides at Burgoon, Sandusky County. In Woodville township, Sandusky County, the father again married, his second union being with Miss Phoebe Osborn, and their wedding was celebrated in 1857. The lady was born in Erie county, N. Y., and is a daughter of Joseph and Catherine (House) Osborn. Her father died in the Empire State, after which her mother moved to Sandusky County, Ohio, where she later became the wife of Mr. Benedict, but both are now deceased. In his younger days, Mr. Baker was a great hunter, and at that time had ample opportunity to indulge in that sport all over Wood County. For two years he kept a public house at Lemoyne, and then removed to his present farm in Woodville Township, Sandusky County. By his second union he had eleven children, ten of whom are still living, namely: Edmund G., whose name introduces this review; Ida, who is taking a literary course at Ann Arbor, Mich.; George, a teacher in the public schools in Kansas; Mrs. Belle Price, who previous to her marriage also engaged in teaching; Rose, at home; Sanford, an attorney at law of Seattle, Wash.; William P., who is studying electrical engineering at the University of Michigan; Arthur, who is studying medicine in the same institution; and Kate and Charley, both at home.
After pursuing his studies for several years in the district schools of Woodville township, Edmund G. Baker entered the normal at Valparaiso, Ind., where after two years he was graduated with the class of 1882, and on returning to Sandusky county served as superintendent of the Woodville school for two years. His marriage was there celebrated December 3, 1884, Miss Linda Herman becoming his wife. She is a native of that county, born January 27, 1860, educated in Woodville, and is a daughter of Henry and Clarinda (Webster) Herman, early pioneers of Sandusky county, who still make their home in Woodville township. By this union three sons have been born: Mark, born October 18, 1885; Roscoe, born April 17, 1888; and Ralph, born January 29, 1893.
“Wood county Ohio, Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1897”