George Brough (Brugh) was born Dec. 10, 1830 in Salem, Columbiana Co., OH. He died Mar. 14, 1884 in Pemberville, Wood Co., OH. George was reared in Pennsylvania and when a young man came with his father and mother to Sandusky County. His father, Simon Brough (also Brugh) was born Dec. 17, 1806 in Northampton Co., PA and died Jan 17, 1892 in Ballville Township, Sandusky Co., OH. His mother, Sarah (Sallie) Carrick was born Oct. 23, 1805 in Somerset, PA and died Aug. 7, 1882 in Green Creek Township, Sandusky Co., OH.
George married Catharine Shoemaker (also Shumacher) who was born May 11, 1835 in Baden, Baden, Germany. Catharine died on Jan. 10, 1916 in Bowling Green, OH. Catharine moved into Sandusky County at about the age of ten years. It was in Sandusky County that George and Catharine were married. In 1866 they became residents of Wood County. Following the death of her husband in 1884, Catharine moved to Bowling Green, OH were she was living at the time of her death.
George and Catharine had five children
- Simon Brough B17 Mar 1858 in Sandusky co., OH D 7 Mar 1934 in Troy Township, OH
- Franklin Brough B 1859 (in late 1890’s was a resident of Locust Point, Ottawa Co., OH)
- Jane (Brough) Sweet B 1863 (in late 1890’s was a resident of Bowling Green, OH)
- Charles E. “Charley” Brough B 1865 (in late 1890’s was a resident of Coldwater, MI)
- Cory “Cora” (Brough) Davis B 1867 (in late 1890’s was a resident of Toledo, OH)
George and Catharine are both buried in Troy Township Cemetery