Henry J. Elder (1799 – 1883)
Henry J. Elder, was born in Frederick County, Md., on February 6, 1795, and was a son of Arnold Elder, a native of Baltimore, who spent his entire life in Maryland. Father, Arnold Elder served with distinction in the war of 1812. Henry J. only 17 years of age at the time served as a bugle boy in the war of 1812. The father remained in his native State of Maryland until about nineteen years of age, when he came to this State on foot, making the journey from Frederick County to Bucyrus, Ohio, a distance of over five hundred miles, in eleven days. He joined a surveying party, which was employed in Ottawa, Seneca and Sandusky, counties, and became well posted on much of the land in this State. He made his headquarters in Tiffin, and remained with that surveying corps for some years. However, in 1835, he left the surveying corps and began blacksmithing at Sandusky. In the same year, June 13, 1835, Mr. Elder was united in marriage with Miss Harriet Harpster, who was born in Pennsylvania, on April 24, 1813. Their wedding was celebrated in Sandusky, now Fremont, Ohio. Her parents, Christian and Delilah (Markle) Harpster, were also natives of the Keystone State, and became early residents in Franklin County, Ohio. Later her parents moved to Sandusky County, and at Fremont their deaths occurred.
From Sandusky, Mr. Elder removed to Toledo, Ohio, in 1836; but the same year arrived in Wood County, where he bought a timbered tract of 139 acres, of John Bates. There he erected a tavern, which he conducted many years. He at once began to clear and improve his place, making his home thereon until his death, which occurred September 18, 1883. He took a prominent part in promoting the interests of Troy township, aided largely in its development, and assisted in advancing its educational facilities, being school director for some time. His first vote was cast for the Whig party, but he later became a stalwart Democrat.
Mrs. Elder survived her husband, and, of their fourteen children, in 1897 only six were still living. Their children were as follows: Ephraim, who died in childhood; Mrs. Henrietta White, who died in 1865; Mrs. Mary Buxton, who made her home in Iowa; Mrs. Sarah Gould, who died in Toledo, Ohio, in April, 1895; William, who lived and farmed in Troy Township, Wood County, OH; Richard, who enlisted in Troy township, in the fall of 1861, becoming a member of Company E, 72nd O. V. I., and was killed at Pittsburg Landing the following year; John, a resident of Perrysburg township, Wood county; Jesse, who died in Troy township, in 1866; Isabel and Arabel, who also died in the same year; George, who made his home in Perrysburg township; Lucy, who died around 1894; Martha, wife of Fred Gould, of Toledo; and Harriet, who also lived in Toledo. Following the death of Henry, her husband, Harriet moved in with her son, William Elder also of Troy Township.
“Wood county Ohio, Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1897”