Henry Hoelter (1846 – 1914)
Among the prominent and enterprising farmers of Troy Township, who were of alien birth, was the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. Like others of his countrymen, he brought to the New World those habits of economy and frugality which were an inherent characteristic of his native land, and the exercise of which, accompanied by industry and good management, secured him a comfortable competence. His residence was located in Section 27, where he carried on agricultural pursuits. A native of Hanover, Germany, he was born in 1846, at the home of his parents, Joe and Elnora (Boehna) Hoelter, also natives of the same province. By trade his father was a carpenter, and he died in Hanover in 1849, while the mother survived him until 1882. In their family were seven children who grew to maturity, namely: Henry, who was drowned in Hanover; Mrs. Elizabeth Furmeyer, of Cleveland, Ohio; Mrs. Eleanor Walker, who passed away in Germany; Mrs. Regina Braucksick, of Hanover; Frederick, who was still living in Germany in 1897; and Mrs. Nora Huffman, who for some years was a resident of Ross township, Wood county.
Mr. Hoelter was reared to manhood in his native land, but at the age of twenty-four years decided to try his fortune on this side of the Atlantic, where, he understood, better opportunities were afforded young men. Therefore, he set sail at Bremen, and after a voyage of seven weeks, landed at New York, whence he came direct to Cleveland, Ohio. In that city, in 1870, he was married, the lady of his choice being Miss Anna Marie Braucksick, who was also born in Germany July of 1845, and was the daughter of John Henry and Elizabeth Braucksick, both natives of the Fatherland. They came to this county with our Henry Hoelter and died here in America. Mr. and Mrs. Hoelter had nine children: William, the eldest, (married, and engaged in business as a member of the firm of Samson & Hoelter, of Luckey), Lizzie, Anna, Carrie, Gus, Henry, Fred, John, and Dora.
From the time of his arrival in Cleveland in 1869, Mr. Hoelter worked at the trade of a cooper. In 1875 he moved to Troy Township. Here he first rented land in the eastern part of the township, but in 1879 located on a farm of eighty acres, then partially improved. No buildings stood upon the place with the exception of a log house which was destroyed by fire in July, 1884, and the same year he erected a comfortable frame residence. By 1897 his land was under a high state of cultivation, and all of the improvements found thereon were of a substantial character, indicating the owner to be a man of thrift and enterprise.
Mr. Hoelter used his elective franchise in support of the measures and men put forward by the Democratic party, served as a trustee of his township for some years, and was also a member of the school board of District No. 5. Both he and his excellent wife were members of the Lutheran Church, and they enjoyed the esteem and respect of the neighborhood.
John Hoelter died Dec. 24, 1914 while living near Luckey, OH. His wife Anna died Feb. 8, 1924 while living near Luckey, OH. Both are buried in Troy Township Cemetery.