Edmund Franklin Metzger, the efficient town clerk of Troy Township, and postmaster of Stony
Ridge, is a native of Wood County, born in Troy Township, January 15, 1867, and is a son of Lewis and Mary (Renninger) Metzger, both born in the German Empire, emigrating to America in 1835. In Medina County, Ohio, they were reared and married, but, as early as 1856, became residents of Wood County; in 1850, the father purchased his present farm in Troy Township. They reared a family of seven children, namely: John, who died in Perrysburg Township, November 7, 1894; Charles, who died in Troy Township, November 3, 1888; George, a resident of Paulding County, Ohio; Henry, who died in Troy Township, in 1883; Edmund F., of this sketch; Carrie and Allen, both at home.
Our subject was reared to rural life, receiving his primary education in the district schools, after which he pursued his studies for two seasons in the Fostoria Normal School. On leaving school he began teaching, the profession he followed for eight years in Wood County, meeting with excellent success as an instructor.
In his political affiliations, Mr. Metzger is a Democrat, and for the past six years has taken an active part in local public affairs, being one of the leaders of his party in the township. In 1892 he was appointed town clerk, and afterward elected for three consecutive terms; in December 1893, he was appointed postmaster of Stony Ridge, to succeed J. E. Stewart. He has proved a capable official, discharging the duties of the offices to the satisfaction of all concerned. He holds membership with the Lutheran Church of Stony Ridge, and Fort Meigs Lodge No. 774, I. O. O. F., of Perrysburg, and is universally respected as an honorable, upright young man.
Edmund married Mary Adelia Marsh born April 19, 1875 in Stony Ridge, OH. Together they had one child; John L Metzger born Jan 14, 1898. Edmund died April 20, 1942 in Stony Ridge, Mary died Feb. 1, 1945 and is buried with her husband in Troy Township Cemetery.
Portions ofText Taken from “Wood county Ohio, Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1897”